SOS Study Skills
The SOS Study Skills Program helps the student study more effectively rather than for longer periods of time. By focusing on the assignment and placing the material within the context of the teacher requirements for that particular subject, we guide the student for the task at hand. The student learns to identify what is really needed and prepares accordingly.
SOS tutors use Active Listening as the most productive feedback while the student progresses in finding answers and completing assignments.
As we work with the students on study skills, we give continual support by pointing out:
- what they have done well
- how they can improve or develop the specific assignment
- how they can achieve successful outcomes over a number of assignments
- how they can make the material meaningful
- how they can work efficiently
The tutors are aware of the most basic requirements and address the most specific techniques for studying effectively and performing excellently:
- Pay attention in class.
- Take good notes.
- Break work down into manageable pieces.
- Plan ahead for tests and projects.
- Set goals.
- Research well.
- Prep for tests.
- Adjust attitude.
- Manage stress.
- Write the essay.
- Skim and scan - when and how.
- Make study guides.
- Use flashcards.
- Memorize what you need.
- Ask for help if you get stuck.
Students at all grade levels will not only improve performance in school but also improve their ability to learn in general.